The following is an entry to UBC’s Thrive Blog Challenge (UBC’s mental health awareness week Oct. 17-21):
Over the years I’ve realized I can’t get rid of stress. Here are some things I do to limit how bad it gets.
- Remind myself that stress is normal.
- Let myself be comfortable with some level of stress and not get caught up in the cycle of stressing about stressing out.
- Take some deep breaths; 4 sec in, 4 sec hold, 4 sec out, 4 sec wait, repeat etc. Breathe deeply into your belly, not just your chest. This will help lower your heart rate to calm you down.
- Picture the worst thing that could happen, because usually it’s not that bad.
- Get a good night’s rest, eat healthily and exercise. You’d be surprised how much these simple things can affect stress, anxiety and mood.
More Thrive blogs can be read on the Healthy Minds at UBC site.