Minutes for Meeting on Oct 13th, 2012
Present: Robyn, Tracy, Trevor, Steven, Andrea
1. Discussed students who have expressed interest in getting involved with Kaleidoscope
- Follow up with email, set up meetings to talk more about the role and give opportunity for others on board to meet interested parties (Andrea & Robyn). New facilitators can be buddied with older facilitators until they are comfortable. Steven has suggested a “try it out” period of 2-3 sessions.
- Pool has variety of strengths (eg. student liaison, social media expert, facilitator trainer)
2. Langara update (Trevor & Tracy)
- they prefer more of an awareness group over a support group setting
- Trevor and Tracy will try to get Kaleidoscope a booth at the health fair that is coming up
- Additional members are to be recruited through student counseling, wellness, etc.
3. THRIVE (Nov 5-9)
- Show a film in its entirety this year, rather than a series of clips (difficult last year due to AV system in the Norm theater)
- Robyn is handling the booking at the Abdul Lahda Center (they have an upstairs with a projector). Once this is figured out, we can fill out the form online for Thrive and begin to advertise with MHAC, Mental Health Network, and Live Well/Learn Well
- Could we rent a popcorn maker? Kerrisdale Lumber or RONA have one that we may be able to borrow for that evening
- large paper plates and napkins
- easy wipes (or Bounty and Windex) for tables after each meeting
- table cloth
5. Mailing list
- ask individuals for emails for subscribing to email list (Steven can enter them in manually to make things easier)
- list can be a way to message attendees re: emergency cancellations, upcoming events
- facilitators will start recording numbers just for own reference
- Steven will print horizontal banner and posters in time (Andrea: send documents)
7. Tracy suggested we order magazines (Bipolar is a good one) and a self-help CBT book called Mind over Mood that attendees can photocopy from if interested
8. Get back on Twitter
- Andrea will figure out the password and send to Robyn to team up on making posts
9. Brad is joining Kaleidoscope to develop our long-term sustainability and business arm. Welcome!
Minutes for Meeting on Aug 11th, 2012
Relationship with the MDA
We are not a MDA support group – Catherine at the MDA has confirmed this
Discuss meeting places and times for groups at UBC
We will keep our space at the Center for Student Involvement at the current time (for the storage space and just because this has been our original time for the last two years that people will know) and create a second group around lunch hour on a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday to accommodate students who are not on campus on Tuesdays or Thursdays.
- Decided against having a specific group for students in residence (because of meeting space, constraints around having at least 51% of attendees be students living in residence)
- We will advertise within residences through posters, online magazines, leaving materials within their buildings and see how the demand goes
1. Marine Drive student residence
To retain the booking we would need more than half of attendees to be students living in residence
2. Global Lounge (at UBC International House).
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; 604-827-4771
Booking in August (we would be able to go see it too)
Some clients have brought up their concerns around confidentiality due to the traffic at the CSI and some students walking through the small meeting room while groups are in progress. We will make a sign that says meeting in progress.
Tracy and Trevor have started looking into starting a potential support group at Langara and will be responsible for seeing the application through
- We meet all the requirements to apply as a club
- They have no support group
- We have support of student health and counselling
- Need everything done by second week of September
- We may need an exception for the 5 members to endorse the creation of a Kaleidoscope chapter
UBC Imagine Main Booth
1. We should go ahead and print more pens and bookmarks as promotional materials for the upcoming year (1000 each of pens and bookmarks)
—-They need to be updated with the CCS logo – will ask Steven about updating them
2. People available to man the booth (Sept 4): Tracy, Robyn
—-Ask individuals who have expressed interest in volunteering with us to attend that day so other members can do a meet/greet
—-Forward it to Robyn
3. We should consider a fan-out approach and leave promotional materials with other UBC clubs and organizations like Live Well Learn Well, Mental Health Awareness Club, Wellness, etc. for them to hand out that day. Can someone be responsible for coordinating this?
—-We should give this job to our liaison
—-Victor has MHN contacts that can link us with reps from SUS, AUS, etc.
—–Tracy will go to talk with someone at UBC Access and Diversity in person to see how we can work with them
- Need to bring posters, pens, brochures, bookmarks, etc. to Woo Kim at the International House at some point before September
- International House manages a community blog for students that has good readership and is free. They print blurbs about events/clubs/services. Contact: email@example.com
- Steven has made us a poster for the residences
- Drop off materials at:
Access & Diversity – tracy is going there next week
- See if we can get bookmarks or pens into the first year orientations packages
- For UBC Firstweek: our contact is Jenny. We have to print 200 pens and submit them to their office in the SUB by August 20th
- Still a work in progress; goal is to have it ready to go by the beginning of the school year
- Position is for a facilitator only as we have a student who is interested in being a student liaison with us
- Use UBC Careersonline? (Free if staff – Nicole will handle submission process)
- Everyone would like to be involved in dealing with application process so we will leave the contact email as firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leave up posting til first week of September – will put it up as soon as possible and leave it active until filled
Minutes for Meeting on May 20th, 2012
Attendance: Drea, Trevor, Tracy, Nicole, Victor,
Andrea mentioned the binder she is working on with mental health resources and the video library record with signout sheets. Some resources from the Lowdown website could be added (Tracy).
Pizza is going well. No problems with missed orders.
Andrea- press release is complete and was sent out to Vancouver sun, and 5-7 other outlets. Tyee, Courier, Province, G. Straight, CBC. Canadian Press you have to pay. Emailed report who previously did a report on kscope (Paola Loriggio) to let her know and get advice on other strategies. The list is on google docs – timesheet under Drea’s tab. Victor will also send it around; drea will send him a sample email she used.
We need to add CC logos to website, facebook and twitter page.
We need to contact CC to figure out if old materials (pens, bookmarks) can be used because they do not have the CC logo on them.
We need to find a new space for September if we want to hold group a bit later.
If we start a new group it could be in Residences. Drea contacted Kate Ferguson from Residences to discuss this idea, but she is away. Kate was a suggested contact from Patty Hambler. A lunch time group is a good option for a different second group.
Finances – cheques were issued to all attendees according to time claimed on timesheet. Tracy (and perhaps Robyn) did not claim hours for those dates when they were the second facilitator, but others of us did. This was due to a lack of clarity regarding how many facilitators could be offered honorarium per meeting, and we agreed that for now, 2 is the maximum and the ideal. If we create a second group, we would have to revisit the issue. Tracy has been asked to submit back-hours for next meeting for those dates on which she was second facilitator so she can receive honorarium for those additional hours.
Victor mentioned that they (who?) did something during finals at Barber for drop-in student support. Victor will find out the group in charge for organizing that.
We could do a bookmark drive in classrooms in September perhaps using Health Minds volunteers.
Members committee should meet during summer to discuss potential second group options and bring to larger group at next executive meeting.
Facilitator training MDA Thursday & Friday May 24-25 at Executive Hotel in Burnaby. Tracy will send out info to follow this up.
Potentially post ad on UBC Careers. Trevor will draft an ad.
Andrea said there was no luck with including Kscope info in first year student agenda for faculty of science.
Nicole will try to fix Facebook banner. Kscope logo is in google docs letters. (Andrea later followed up on this instead for a temporary fix.)
Victor: are there (or were there ever) any bookmarks/pens at the CSI space?
UBC Access & Diversity should know to refer students to us. Andrea will contact them.
Minutes for Meeting on Feb 5th, 2012
Attendees: Nicole, Andrea, Steven, Fraser, Trevor, Tracy, Robyn, Josh, Victor
Warm welcome to Tracy and Robyn, our newest facilitators. Update on group meetings–new attendees, challenges, successes, etc.
Need to reiterate boundaries at the start of each meeting as a reminder to participants. Write out group rules and distribute (and re-collect) copies at each meeting.
We have been officially non-profit since last June! Steven will give an overview of our obligations and implications re: reimbursements, payroll, legitimate expenses, etc.
We have won a $15,000 Community Investment Grant from Coast Capital Savings Credit Union! We will have to read over the contract before signing it, write up a media release, and open up an account with them.
Should we provide support electronically for students interested in The Kaleidoscope but are unable to come?
No (due to issues with reliability). Defer and give resources. As more interest is generated, look into creating a second group at lunch hour (more feasible since no classes are offered between 12-1 MWF and 12:30-1:30 TT).
Teams-based approach. Members volunteer to work on one or more teams. Like Gallery Gachet model, meetings are open to any member of the non-profit society.
- Active versus Inactive membership
- Membership: makes decisions about new members and facilitators, tallies facilitator hours when applicable, and schedules facilitators for particular group sessions. Trevor, Andrea, Tracy
- Communications: updates, manages, and maintains website, mailing lists, social media. Manages inquires to email@example.com. Steven, Victor
- Promotions: represents the group at conferences and events. Creates and maintains networks with relevant services and resources in the lower mainland and in BC. Build efforts to increase accessibility and presence of Kaleidoscope services. Handles media inquiries. Trevor, Victor, Andrea
- Finance: handles the administration of funds and any payments to facilitators. Keeps eyes open for new funding opportunities and assembles teams to deal with funding opportunities. Nicole, Andrea, Steven
- Events: plans and schedules internal team building events. Outreach. Fraser
- Secretary: schedules team meetings, society meetings, and annual general meeting. Send out reminders to relevant individuals. Robyn
We need to use the rest of the funds in the UBC account before the end of the fiscal year. Fraser will look into options that include bowling, go-karting, camping, etc.