Information Lines

Call 211/ Text BC211/ – Government & community-based health and social services

Call – Check physical symptoms and resources. Non-emergency health information. You speak to a registered nurse about symptoms you’re worried about or talk with a pharmacist about medication questions for free.

ACC-VGH Access & Assessment Center: (604) 875-8289. 24h-365 days/year. Streamlined referral process for self-referred individuals needing mental health or addiction services. Provide in-home and drop-in appointments. Better than 911 if you need mental help or addictions help.

CTT-Community Transition Team: 604-675-3898. Assists mental health clients with the transition from a hospital psychiatric unit back to the community, such as: assistance with housing, mental health & medication monitoring, rapid crisis response, accessing community-based mental health teams, recourses, and health services.

Here to  (604) 310-6789. Seven provincial mental health & addiction non-profit agencies working to help people better prevent and manage mental health and substance use problems. Online nd 24h taped mental health information line. 

BC Hearing Voices Network – (604) 708-5276. A forum for sharing ideas, coping strategies, resources, new research, and supporting new support groups.

Alcohol & Drug Information and Referral Services: 1-800-663-1441 (toll-free in BC) or (604) 660-9382 (in Lower Mainland) to find recourses and support. They can refer you to services across BC.